Saturday, July 19, 2008

of Dancing Queens and Goto King

what big gun you have, grandma!

We went to the second most bombed island in the world, Corregidor (next to Malta)... at least we were at the number two list for a different reason; that was a welcome change from my country being in the most corrupt list…

It was beautiful, added to the fact that I was with 10+ buddies, which made the whole experience amazingly fun and crazy! ...the crazy part, I’ll get to later hehehe.

From our quick ferry ride from Manila Bay to the island (less than 2 hours) there were buses mimicked like trams that welcomed us. We boarded them and started hopping on and off from museums, lighthouse to monuments and ruins; I guess you just have to check other blogs for pics (if you still haven’t), my broke-ass 8mp poser for a digicam broke down, and I was left using my camera phone.


The tour was very “snap snap” kind of thing where everything was scheduled and in line. I have no complaints though, I think it’s much better that way; organized and the guide was on top of everything… although it made the whole trip more touristy (everyone took pictures automatically when we hopped off the bus) which is what they wanted to achieve in the first place anyways, I think ;p

The highlight of the tour for me was the guide’s mention of “Corregidor Massacre” back in the 70s during Marcos’ rule.

We went to the hospital ruins, destroyed by bombs during WWII�"which was actually a violation of the Geneva Convention by the Japanese. It was a big cross from a pilot’s aerial perspective; however the Kamikaze bombers still bombarded the facility filled with the injured and casualties of war.

(I still cannot figure out though why my fave cocktail is a Kamikaze up till now)…

The hospital ruins were where the Moro Soldiers from Mindanao trained to fight the then disputed island, Sabah, Borneo. But when they found out that they were fighting their Muslim brothers from Malaysia, they had a change of heart and decided to forego the mission. Apparently Marcos was not fond of the soldiers’ resolution and ordered them executed by batches of twelve (and this is according to our guide, Gak Abelgak who harrowingly told the story). A lone survivor escaped the island by jumping off a cliff right before execution and swam to the nearby Caballo island where he met a fisherman on his way to Cavite (now talk about luck!).

scribed moro soldiers on the wall

After doing the rounds on the hospital ruins and seeing the names of the soldiers written on the wall by our own eyes and by their own hands, there was no doubt in our minds that the story was true, and the hairs on my arms slowly rose to a stiff while walking past these walls… of course, I pretended that it didn’t bother me while beside me Foyan was gripping with fear and trepidation hehehe.

We then went to another Battery place where we watched the sunset. What can I say, it was simply amazing!

…and now for the crazy part; even if the closest to “travel” that we did in our Karaoke session is from one mic traveling from one table to the next and San Migs and Tanduays from our mouth then to our tummies, I would still say that this is the highlight of my trip and so is too for the other droonken asses I guess.

lighthouse

The sing and dance portion was the most fun. I think the alcohol was just an added bonus hehe. I believe we’d still dance and partied like crazy even without beer�"at least I would’ve hahaha! Everyone was so merry and was in the moment, and mind you we were still in the “getting to know you” stage ;p…

The most wasted of us all was the one who vomited the most hahaha… well I know she asked not to talk about the droonken ass mishap anymore since she feels that it was too humiliating for her… so for her benefit we’ll give her a fake name since its too crazy of an event to pass up not mentioning, let’s call her Steb or Annie or Honey but never her known name, ok guys :-D

The following morning, Foyan confessed to puking discreetly on one of the garden plants, well, let’s just say that it will bear fruit next season.

josh: gusto mo tulong Jear?
And JeAr letting a rip on his bed sheets, poor cleaning lady!… but Steb, Man! She was really at it the night of the Videoke. She was so smoshed that all you hear from her was “I’m sooo droonk” like a million times. I told her to just sit down, chill and drink water, the moment I thought she was about to drink from her bottled water. I then experienced a scene from the “Exorcist” where Linda Blair gushed out fertilizers from a 90 degree projectile, hitting a part of my arm where it almost fell on my rum coke, funnier thing is that she tried to avoid unloading it all on me so she made a quick right face! Hitting I think Josh or Foyan in the process hahahahahaha.

I swore from that moment on that I will never eat Goto for the rest of my life, lugaw maybe but not goto, nyahahaha!!!.

We all sobered up the following morning of course and were already laughing our butts off from the colorful event the night before over breakfast.

It was too bad all of us except Dennie missed the sunset tour, for obvious reasons hehe…

Most of us then proceeded to the “good enough” beach on the island and chillaxed all the way before preparing for our ferry trip back to Manila. Nickie can’t believe how clear the water was on the beach… uhmmm, Nickie you haven’t been to Palawan yet, well all the more reason for you to go back :-).

In toto, we had a very nice and informative tour of the island and definitely one heck of a party! I will recommend this to friends and family and one day be def back for another tour.

Thank you Josh for a trip well done!

3 comments:

Isabones said...

Psssst! ;-)

Anonymous said...

halu andiboi i like your destinations, i hope it's okay if i link you to mine. so i can read your entries regularly :). thanks!

eye in the sky said...

just checking out your turf. where's the new blog, andi? lol

i don't like goto. the only time i was forced to try it was duringa trip to iloilo, and they said it was the best place to try one, so i did. not bad, really, but your post wouldn't encourage me to try it again. :->

i have been to corregidor several times. believe me, your experience was a lot better coz you had an overnighter. ive always wanted to soak on their beach but day tours never allow such luxury, regardless of how many times you've visited the island. and ive always imagined how creepy it would be to stay there overnight! the thought gives me goosebumps.